Wednesday, October 19, 2011

No Honey, You Didn't Ruin My Life

Source

My husband read my first post.  He said "Oh, I ruined your life?", I replied "What?????", he counters "We only ate ice cream and everybody else encouraged you to get measured and stuff.  I told you to measure and get off that scale!"  Yes Honey, you have encouraged me and you are the best thing that's happened to me!  I have actually made the most progress since he's been trying to watch what he eats as well.  It has really helped me that there aren't any Oreos lurking around the house.  I can smell them from a mile away you know!?  But that brings me to a concept that is the most difficult to tackle when you are trying to lose weight and you are a control freak: you can't control other people!  If you are the only person for miles who is trying to keep a safe distance from donuts, you are likely to encounter said donuts and especially on the day that you most need to avoid them.  What do you do?

You make a choice.

You know the one.  The hard one.

And then you keep making that choice.

And sometimes you eat that frikkin donut and half a bag of chocolate chips and then some chips just 'cause the chocolate aftertaste needs a little salty chaser.

If option number two happens, what do you do?  You wipe that chocolate off your mouth, calculate your points and track them.  Then you give yourself a minute to say mean things to yourself and then you forgive yourself and move on.  Sometimes this happens often and sometimes this rarely happens.  The longer you go making the hard choice and staying on plan and eating right, the easier that choice becomes.  But you still can't control what other people do, or what kinds of temptations they bring into your house.  Your struggle is not with them.  It's with yourself.

It's with YOURSELF.  You can't say it's someone else's fault when it's your own hand bringing that bad choice to your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment