Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Hour I Live For


Sometimes I can spend quite a few hours of my day surfing the internet.  I am mainly browsing other people’s weight loss and fitness blogs.  I need my daily inspiration and the comfort I get from knowing that the struggles I go through are the same ones that other people experience.  But the one hour a day that I live for is the one right after work.  I go to boot camp or to a group fitness class and I LIVE.  Feeling the burn, pushing myself and yet side-eyeing everyone else, because I am secretly in competition with all of them.  I feel the most alive in those moments.

Last night was my first BodyPump class.  I have no idea who this Les Mills is, but my new gym has his classes every day.  Since I refuse to go to boot camp in the cold and/or rain, Less Mills is my new boot camp.  I have to say that I was a bit intimidated after peeking into a class one day about a month ago, but I knew that I would love the intensity of that class. 

So I went and I impressed myself with my weight lifting abilities.  I am looking forward to increasing the weights next time.  I am very unfamiliar with kg measurements and I had no idea how much weight I was using.  A woman from my class was very helpful and she was like, “First time?  Try this weight.”  So I was very grateful she helped me out.  I was able to complete all the reps on all the exercises except two.  No surprise here that they were arms.  My upper body strength sucks.  I can do real pushups now, but only 10 reps and two sets max without muscle failure.  I am a wimp in the upper body.

My husband is so funny.  He really has no idea what I am capable of.  I came home last night and told him about the class and he said “you are going to hurt yourself.”  Ha!  I have invited him to join me at boot camp and at the gym and he refuses.  Every time I tell him about my personal best he always tells me I am going to hurt myself.  So silly.  I’d hurt myself more if I didn’t try these things and competed at the Couch Potato Olympics like I used to!  I actually get mad every time I think about all the time I don’t get back that I spent as a couch jockey!


1 comment: